Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Alexandria Joyce Derr


So in case those of you who read this aren't aware today is one of the most important dates of my life. It is the day that I went from being an only child to being a big brother. Today 18 years ago God blessed me with the opportunity to be the brother of a wonderful woman named Alexandria Joyce Derr. 

I can still clearly remember the moment I found out. I was outside with my grandma Dee she was pitching me a wiffle ball and the she heard the phone ring, she went answered it came back and told me I had a brand new baby sister. I'll admit that at first I was disappointed, I was pulling for a brother, but looking back I would never give her up for a brother. I had no idea the amount  joy that she would bring to my life

While we have not always gotten along and have had more than our share of disagreements and arguments, I would never trade it for anything. She has been a constant joy in my life. Despite the fact that this is the 4th birthday of hers that I haven't been around for she continues to grow into a beautiful young lady. It has been an amazing opportunity to watch her grow, both physically and emotionally. But the biggest area I have seen her grow is spiritually, She has gone form a innocent little girl who didn't quite understand the bible, to a young woman with a faith that I'm sure would move mountains. She has developed a heart for those around her. A deep burning passion for the hurting people of this world. She takes the the time to look at the people that I've been guilty of ignoring. She 's always looking for even the slightest hint of goodness in the people that the world says are evil and there's no hope for.

She has also become one of my closest friends, one that I can go to no matter what, who will accept me no matter what I've done, who is always willing to listen to me when I'm having a bad day, who has gained some amazing spiritual insights and is always excited to share them if you're willing to sit down, shut up and listen. 

She's taught me patience, actually no so much as taught as forced me to learn it. she'd brought a joy to my life that few things can surpass. She's taught me what t really means to be a brother, and to see the real value in everybody.

It has been a great joy and privilege to watch you grow Alexandria, I know that no matter where God leads you, you'll excel at what ever you put your mind to. I love you Allie bird. 

Since the last time I've posted on here things have been pretty interesting. I've had the opportunity to see some of the country from the back of a motorcycle. I took a ride into a town about and hr away, I've been there numerous times. but somehow it was like a brand new trip that I'd never been on before. It was a totally different way of seeing things, I felt more in the culture, there was no barrier of the car around me to, in a sense, hinder me from seeing everything. We passed close enough to vehicles that I could reach out and touch them, I did a few times to make sure that I wouldn't be exaggerating. I experienced the smells that went along with the sights, sometimes not the best but, nevertheless were part of the culture. 

The next day I got to  go to the capitol of the district, Chittoor, which was about 2 1/2 hr away. I spent about 5-6 hrs walking around the city with a few of the hospital employees. It was amazing!! We went to some of the shops, saw the market and just enjoyed the city. 

Sunday we had a youth meeting, that I got to lead. It was the first time they've ever had something like that, and it was a huge blessing to get to be apart of it. I ask for your prayers in the coming weeks that God would continue to mold and shape the direction that the group is taking and that all the talks we have will be led by God.

PS I love you too Jenna! You've also brought an amazing amount of joy to my life. I know we've fought more but I wouldn't trade a moment of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment